Tacoma Dental Assistant School
December 20, 2021
What Can I Do with a Dental Assistant Diploma in Tacoma, or Puyallup?
Are you interested in becoming a Dental assistant in Tacoma, or Puyallup? The Tacoma Dental Assistant School prepares you for an entry-level position in a Dental office. In less than 9 months, you could be a valuable member of an oral health care team, working side by side with dentists, hygienists, and administrative professionals in Tacoma, or Puyallup, dedicated to bringing the best in dentistry to patients in a Dental practice. A diploma at Tacoma Dental Assistant School is your conduit for success in Tacoma, or Puyallup.
Where Can I work as a Dental Assistant in Tacoma, or Puyallup?
Most Dental assistants work in Dental practices and assist Dentists and Dental hygienists. In Tacoma, and Puyallup, local Dental practices include and other practices in Tacoma, and Puyallup.
As an opportunity to network with Tacoma, or Puyallup Dental practices, you will be able to participate in the Tacoma Dental Assistant School 40-hour externship program. This will prepare you for work in Tacoma, or Puyallup and allow you to put this real-world experience on your resume when it is time to find a Dental assistant job. This externship is an opportunity for you to work in local Dental offices in Tacoma, or Puyallupand start networking for your future career in Dental assisting.
What Jobs Can I Get with a Dental Assistant Diploma?
Most graduates of a Dental assistant diploma program start out as entry-level Dental assistants working in a traditional Dental practice in Tacoma, or Puyallup. With experience, you can become an office manager, or Dental sales representative. With even more experience and education, you can become a Dental laboratory technologist, Dental hygienist or even a dentist. There are many paths to follow in your career as a Dental assistant in Tacoma, or Puyallup. The first step is getting a diploma at Tacoma Dental Assistant School to help secure your future.
What Do I Learn During a Dental Assistant Diploma Program?
In as little as 9 months, you will learn how to become a Dental assistant in Tacoma, or Puyallup. From patient preparation, taking X-Rays and supporting dentists to keeping the Dental practice clean and managing Dental records, the Dental assistant diploma program will prepare you for an entry-level position at a Dental practice in Tacoma, or Puyallup.
- - Prepare Tray Set-ups
- Making sure supplies are available and ready for the dentist is a Dental assistant’s main role at a Dental practice. There are different Dental instruments that are used for each procedure, from exams, amalgam fillings and composite fillings, to crowns and root canals to name a few. Arranging these Dental instruments in the proper order helps prevent cross-contamination. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- - Take X-rays
- As a Dental assistant in Tacoma, or Puyallup, you are responsible for taking X-Rays, making sure X-Rays are clear of artifacts and uploaded properly to Dental management software systems. X-Rays can supplement a Dental exam performed on the outer surface of the teeth. The X-Rays allows the dentist to see beneath the surface of teeth and gums, to make better diagnosis and decide on proper treatment.
- - Prepare Patients for Treatment
- As a Dental assistant in Tacoma, or Puyallup, you will help manage patients before, during and after procedures and exams. Patients may come to the Dental office unaware of what to expect and this may cause them to be anxious. They may also have a bad experience with another Dental practice in Tacoma, or Puyallup. It is an opportunity for you to calm them down, fully explain what is going to happen and that they will be in good hands with the dentist. Before the exam or procedure, it is important for you to pre-screen the patient for new health concerns, allergies, environmental concerns in Tacoma, or Puyallup, medications they are currently taking and any nutritional problems. After the exam or procedure, it will be your responsibility to educate the patient for aftercare. Good communication is a key asset for a Dental assistant’s success.
- - Support Dentists and Hygienists During Procedures
- The main function of a Dental assistant is to support dentists and hygienists during a procedure or exam. You will hand instruments, suction the patient’s mouth, prepare materials and identify the comfort level of the patient. This support is called four hand dentistry, you support the dentist’s two hands with your own two hands. Good communication and anticipation are key in the back and forth you will have with the dentist and hygienist.
- - Disinfect and Sterilize Equipment
- It is important to disinfect the rooms and sterilize all the equipment between patients. You will learn how to use an autoclave to sterilize instruments and safeguard the patient from bacteria and viruses. With the influx of patients and staff at a Dental practice, it is important for you to thoroughly disinfect the Dental chair, fixtures, countertops, doorknobs, and any other surface that will be handled. This will keep everyone safe from infection.
- - Manage Dental Records
- As Dental records transition to digital formats, you will need to become familiar with Dental management software. Many Dental practices in Tacoma, or Puyallup are working toward a goal of 100 percent digital records, and you will be a big part of this process. So, part of your job may be transitioning paper records to digital formats. Also, while you are handling Dental records, it is important to remember guidelines when sharing patient records, keeping information confidential for the patient’s privacy.
- - Final Thoughts
- Now that you know what you can do with a Dental assistant diploma, ready to learn more about Tacoma Dental Assistant School? If you like helping people in Tacoma, or Puyallup and enjoy a fast-paced environment, becoming a Dental assistant in Tacoma, or Puyallup may be the right career path for you. Learn more about Tacoma Dental Assistant School and join a growing industry that will be in demand for many decades to come.